Wednesday 21 June 2017

An open letter to a toddler (at the end of my year as a stay-at-home dad)


JJ,

It's the 21st of June: the first day of your second summer. Your mom's teaching year is coming to an end, which means so is my stint as your stay-at-home dad. No more raisin bread and deli meat for lunch. No more watching Peppa Pig just so I can read the last five pages of The Deathly Hallows. No more Rush jam session in the basement while your mom is at work. I miss it already.

I can't tell you how much of a privilege it was to spend these last ten months with you. The swim lessons, the trips to the music store, the nature walks, the library play groups where I was the only dad, awkwardly visiting Aunt Melinda at the underwear store where she works, colouring, the Art Factory with grandma and cousin Ary, blowing bubbles, and just goofing around. I don't doubt it has been a formative experience for the both of us.

A typical occurrence: We are out in the backyard and you're roaming around picking grass or rolling stuff down your Fisher Price slide or writing on the footpath with sidewalk chalk. I'm sitting and reading or working on my thesis on my laptop. Then, suddenly you say "hand" and I look up at you standing at the edge of the deck and wanting help to get down to the ground. No matter what I'm doing I drop everything to help you down.

I'm back to school in the fall, and it won't be long before you're in school too. But no matter what I'm doing, no matter how busy I get, I will always hold your hand and help you with the next step.

Love always,

-Dada

No comments:

Post a Comment