Saturday 23 August 2014

The Horse and the Wolf (an adapted fable in translation)

From George Sylvain's Cric? Crac! (1901), a collection of fables adapted from those of Jean de Lafontaine, using language and images from Haitian society.


One day, at dawn
A wolf who had not yet eaten
And was afraid he would die of hunger,
Without waiting for his coffee, without wiping his eyes,
Got out of bed
To go and find something to eat.
Arriving in a wide plain,
He saw far off, very far off, an animal
Drinking water,
Plump! Fat!
Thighs, belly, back,
This beast seemed to be
         Boneless.
Mister wolf drew near; the other raised its head.
It was a handsome, dark horse.
Who, seeing what had disturbed him,
Opened his mouth, yawned, then
Chomp! Chomp! went back to eating his grass.
To himself, our werewolf said:
"Good flesh, to be sure! But careful!
"Watch out for the teeth and hooves!"
He said aloud: "Salutations!"
Chomp! Chomp! The horse did not respond.
         "Brother,
"I say hello!" "Hello!"
"Please excuse me! Not to bother you,
"But might you tell me
"If I might find
"Some jatropha seeds around here?

"They are for an urgent remedy.
"I should add that I'm a doctor.
"I can cure any sickness,
"Using the traditional methods,
"Without medicine, without tools,
"With nothing but native plants:
"White-headed absinthe, dèyè-dos,
"Cannouel cane, atiyoyo,
"Thistles, coulante, cassia buds,
"Sage leaves, Congo pea leaves,
"There is not an unguent, a cataplasm,
"A tea or a purgative that is unknown to me…
"But what's the matter with your foot?
"You seem to be limping.
"Don't be shy, show it to me;
"I will treat you gratis."
To which Brother horse replied:
"It is a large bayahonne tree thorn,
"And it is giving me sharp pains in my heel.
"It must have gone in deep: look!"
"With pleasure! Lets have a look."
Our doctor came up behind,
Opened his mouth to take a bite.
The horse waited until he was as close as possible;
Saw he was right between the jaws,
And (whap!) gave a swift kick,
That knocked out all of the doctor's teeth.
Then, he said to the gent:
"The next time, that will teach you,
"Not to reap where you haven't sown."



No comments:

Post a Comment