Saturday 19 July 2014

The Firefly

by Matt Robertshaw


'Behold the way my body glows,' the firefly professed.
'I can flit about all night, while other bugs must rest.
'Though beautiful the butterfly, industrious the bee,
'The day was made for everyone, while night is just for me.'

The firefly began to think and came to the conclusion
That all his life he'd fallen for an intricate illusion.

'Behold the way my body glows,' he said with all his might.
'Though everyone must share the day, I'm master of the night.
'Forget about the butterfly, the silly little bee.
'It's clear to see that everything was meant to be for me.'

Reaching his conclusion—and because he didn't doubt it,
The time had come to think about what he would do about it.

'Given that the world aligns with my specific features,
'Reasoning would indicate I'm chief among the creatures.
'As chief among the creatures then, it must be understood,
'The things I hate are evil and the things I love are good.'

Critters came from everywhere to hear his thoughtful lessons,
Shining light on matters with his bioluminescence.

'Behold the way my body glows,' he always would begin.
'I must insist you bow to me whenever I come in.
'Inferior the butterfly, irrelevant the bee.
'The day belongs to everyone and they belong to me.'


No comments:

Post a Comment