Wednesday 4 June 2014

Election Day

by Matt Robertshaw
 

The day had arrived for the colony to elect a new queen. Three candidates established themselves and the race was underway. Garbo promised to feed the poor. Melba promised to fix the environment. Blurk promised to save the society. The whole hive buzzed with anticipation as everyone tried to choose a candidate.
     'I shall vote for Garbo,' said one spinster bee. 'Every day my neighbours come to my door asking for food. They're in such a deplorable state that I never turn them away. I even provide free daycare so my poor neighbours can go to work. It is clear that what's needed is a queen who will feed them.'
     'I shall vote for Melba,' said a vivacious young bee. 'The hive can't continue on the course we are on. Every day I clean my honey-comb and urge my neighbours to do likewise. I try my best to waste less and choose only organic pollen. Clearly what is needed is a queen who will clean up the hive.'
     'I shall vote for Blurk,' said a third old busy bee. 'The youngsters in our hive have no respect anymore. Each does as she pleases at the expense of her neighbour. Every day I do my best to set a good example. I greet all those that I meet and help them out when I am able. But nothing changes. We need a queen who will punish the bad and encourage the good, and bring us back to those glorious days when people cared for one another.'
     Election day came around and each cast her vote. It was a close race, but in the final tally Garbo won by an antenna's breadth. 'At last,' said the spinster bee, 'I shall no longer have to feed my neighbours.' When the pitiful beggars appeared at her door the next evening, she said: 'Haven't you heard? Madame Garbo is the new queen! Off with you. I wish you well with your supper.' And she sent them away.
     The vivacious youngster and the busy bee lamented the failure of their preferred candidates. But, knowing that the evil Madame Garbo couldn't live forever, they redoubled their support for Blurk or Melba.
     'I shall write a pamphlet,' said Vivacious. 'I shall criticise every move of the Incumbent Garbo. I shall gather statistics and demonstrate the deterioration of the hive and the need for a Green Queen. Next election my beloved Melba will be victorious, and the hive will be saved.' She took to her new calling more vivaciously than ever, neglecting, as it were, her honey comb, which fell into disarray, and soon became uninhabitable. She was so invested in the pamphlet that she no longer had time to be careful about limiting her waste and choosing ethical products. But it was just a temporary lapse, as she was now seeing the big picture.
     Busy Bee, similarly took up the challenge. 'I shall start a committee to see Blurk made queen,' she said. 'I shall hold conventions and canvas from door-to-door. I shall publish anti-Garbo advertisements and paint each of her missteps as a major scandal. My darling Blurk will be seen as the good queen to make a good society, and by next election she will come out on top, and the hive will be saved.' She began to lose respect for those that thought differently, and even turned to intimidation from time to time. No longer did she focus on spreading goodwill and respect, but her aggressive methods had quite the opposite effect.
     Life in the hive changed little during Madame Garbo's term in office. The subsequent reigns of Melba and Blurk, needless to say, fared little better. But their supporters, each in turn, could rest easy knowing that good work was being done.

No comments:

Post a Comment